Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Singing to Skyler for the first time

The girl who's baby was next to mine for a week started singing to her baby while she was holding him. I knew that reading to premature babies was important, but she said she read in a magazine that singing was even better. I had been a little embarrassed to sing to Skyler because he's in an incubator--unlike her baby--and I'm never alone with him. But it sounded so comforting and soothing hearing her sing to her baby that I thought it might comfort Skyler too. I lifted the little blanket up that covers the top of his incubator, and started to sing softly.
I have always told Chris that I wanted to sing this song to our kids that my parents used to sing to me. I think I was too young to remember my mom singing to me as much, but I do remember being rocked in my dad's arms and having him sing to me in his sweet, and somewhat off-key voice. It's one of the best memories I have of my dad and I've loved that song ever since.
Well, when I started singing that song to Skyler, the words took on an entirely new meaning. It's incredible how the second verse seems tailored to him and his situation. I started choking up once I realized it but I really wanted to finish the song:

My Heavenly Father Loves Me

Whenever I hear the song of a bird or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world Heavenly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see the color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear the magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart: I thank him reverently,
For all his creations of which I'm a part
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.


When you think of the fact that Skyler had a 20 percent chance of survival (and that's not even counting the fact that he was born breech, and the doctors said his head would most likely get stuck in the birth canal and he'd die), and that he was/is likely to have severe damage to his eyes, brain, and organs in his body-- it's truly a miracle and makes this song that much more meaningful.
This was also the day that they told me that Skyler was going to need heart surgery. So I sang the song to him a couple more times to comfort him in preparation for the difficulties ahead, and remind him of what the Lord has done for him--and probably, even more so, to comfort and remind me that everything is in the Lord's hands.


Chris took a picture of me singing this song to Skyler right before his surgery

6 comments:

  1. Leah, This is such a beautiful post. I love this primary song so much. It is the first song that comes to mind when I sing to my little girl. I'm also touched at how much it relates to your baby Skyler. I don't think that it is coincidence that your parents sang you this song and that you have remembered it. I think it's a tender mercy from Heavenly Father for you. He's letting you know how near He is to your small family right now and the trial you are going through. Thank you for sharing. I just love you so much. You are an amazing example and you are shining with faith and gracefully taking this trial one step at a time. You are in my prayers friend. Love you, Kamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I've ever read the second verse (or at least I didn't pay much attention to it if I did.) What a comfort to you and Skyler... Heavenly Father does love his children so much to give us so many beautiful things, doesn't he? I need to stop and think about that more often. What a beautiful, sweet boy you have. :)

    Love you guys,
    Alea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Singing, humming, and reading to Skyler is the best. When my preemie was in the hospital I read to him daily (for the two months he was in the hospital). He is now two, knows the alphabet and all his letters. I know he heard every word I said to him while I was next to his incubator. I keep praying for Skyler and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, that is one of my favorite primary songs, what a sweet testimony of the reality of Gods Matchless Love. And YES, you know heavenly father loves you, Chris, & Skyler. Keep on singing those beautifully written prayers. XOXO, from the Buttons

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah, Don't know if you remember me but I use to work with your mom at the high school. I've seen some of her posts on facebook about your sweet baby and am visiting your blog for the first time. This post warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes. The picture portrays a tender and caring mother. Some of my sweetest memories are of singing to my babies. I think the singing calmed me down as much or more than the babies. I am truly inspired by your and Chris' strength and Skyler's determination. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Your family is in my prayers. Keep on singing, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post makes me think of the the things we take for granted most. I read your posts and see Skyler's amazing spirit, and know that there is so much we dont realize we have, and its the most precious of any object or posession we could ever recieve! I read these with prayers in my heart,and mind that you will have comfort.Im grateful for you sharing your expirences and updates!
    Your an ispiration to me. thank you!

    ReplyDelete