Saturday, March 31, 2012

Skyler is in an open crib now, and he started breastfeeding!

When we prod the nurses to tell us how well Skyler is doing, they usually say something like, "Yes he is doing great, but he still has a ways to go; he has to learn to suck, swallow and breathe at the same time while breastfeeding." Well, I am happy to say that they don't add as much of a disclaimer anymore. They just say, "Yes he is amazing for a 23 weeker."

After two and a half months, I got to breast feed Skyler. I kept telling him how proud I was of him. He did so well. I thought Kangaroo Care was special, but breastfeeding...well, I just cried and the occupational therapist had to wipe my nose. He'll suck for a while and then start panting. It's hard work for him but he's pretty motivated. I've done it four times now. They subtract out the amount he breast feeds and then he gets the rest down his feeding tube; it's in his nose now. Last time he got 10 milliliters. It sounds like nothing but it's a third of his feeding. I'm so proud of him and so grateful for all your prayers and generosity. I know it could have turned out so differently; it could have been the Lord's will to take Skyler back to him. I'm so grateful that it wasn't Skyler's time to leave this earth. He's taught us so much already.

And now that he's started breastfeeding, I can actually start thinking about him coming home! Wow. Just the other day I tore our room apart trying to get ready for him. Now it's less organized than before. :)


His progress is really picking up speed now. Two days ago, I called in and they told me he was in an open crib. An open crib! Everything is louder to him now; it will take a little while for him to get used to it. By the time he comes home, he's going to be so used to noise that we'll to have to turn on a radio or fan so he can fall asleep.

Because he is in an open crib, he can wear clothes now! And since he has less cords attached to him he can be swaddled on a regular basis. He loves that. This sweet lady, one of my mom's friends', sent me a bunch of darling preemie clothes. I can't wait to wash them and put them on him. Right now he wears the ones from the hospital. They're still a little big for him.

He's also gaining weight like crazy. Today he is four whole pounds-- hard to believe since he started at less than a pound and a half. He's pretty compact now, I love it.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am crying (shocker). I am so happy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,
    We've never meet, I'm in your moms ward in Lubbock. I just want to thank you for sharing your miracle with all of us. I have gained such strength and faith from reading your story. I too had a preemie , but he was only in the nicu for 4 weeks ..so short compared to skylar :-) I really feel like I have gained some healing from your story, thank you. Many times I have wanted to comment or simply hug you! It brings back so many emotions, but I have felt ackward thinking you might think me strange since we've only meet briefly ( I showed you which room the YW meet In in your parents ward). Please know that we pray for solar (by name) daily and that your family will receive the strength you need to continue on. There are so many joys while in the nicu and so many disappointments when the setbacks come. It's funny once you've been in the nicu you feel a connection with any other nici mom :-) kind of like a club you really never wanted to be a part of :-)
    We are so excited that skylar hit that all important 4 pound mark!! When your mom told me that you got to nurse skylar I cried a little, such a special special time. We will continue to pray for y'all. I'm glad you liked the clothes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang that autocorrect. Meant to type skylar not solar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SOOO HAPPY for you Leah! There's nothing that makes you feel more like a mom, I think because that's something that no one else can do for him. Didn't you just love the talks about parenthood this morning?

    Thinkin' about you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah, this seriously makes me so happy to hear! He is a little fighter! I'm so excited he can breast feed now, it's such a special thing. Skylar is such a little miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so touching, Leah! You and Chris are amazing parents, and you are just as lucky to have Skylar as he is to have both of you :) Thanks for sharing the progress!!

    ReplyDelete