Thursday, January 26, 2012

He's in the Lord's hands--Skyler 3


Jan 5th-- Jan 8th
The next day the doctor told me he was sending me home on bed rest. If I made it to 23 1/2 weeks, he would have me admitted to IMC hospital to get steroids to help develop Skyler's lungs. But I didn't want to go home. I had talked to another doctor and a NICU nurse from another hospital and they said I should stay at the hospital. Going home meant that Skyler's heart rate wouldn't be monitored, and Chris, and my in-laws, would have to do everything for me. I wasn't supposed to move from the bed except to go to the bathroom.
We hadn't slept much at all the night before so when we got home Chris sat down and started to fall asleep. I realized I was starving and that all the food was upstairs. Being pregnant, I was eating a 2nd lunch and 2nd dinner, you know.:) Well I felt bad waking Chris up and didn't want to bug anyone else. I couldn't help but cry a little. How was thing going to work? How was I supposed to have Chris get me food and do everything for me 24/7? Soon he would have work and school. The fam was extremely helpful but they had their own lives and I couldn't ask for someone to be around every second of the day. But of course I had to stop crying because my stomach muscles were starting to clench.
To help me out, Chris and his sister Cassie went to the store that night to get me some food I could have downstairs. A mini fridge would have been ideal but those were expensive so they decided to get stuff to put in a cooler. Well, while they were talking about all the stuff they were going to put in the cooler, one of the workers at Walmart overheard them and said, "Hey you guys need a mini fridge." They were like, "Yes we do!" Then a lady walking past just then said, "You guys need a mini fridge? I have one. I was going to sell it online but if you want it you can have it." They go to pick up the fridge from her house and it turns out that its a brand new extremely nice mini fridge. They looked it up and it's worth $200. What are the odds? It was definitely one of the Lord's tender mercies and a miracle. It's one of the many ways we know all the prayers in our behalf have been working miracles for our little family.

The day Skyler was born. The first time I got to see him. He's not in the plastic bag it is just over him for warmth.

While they were gone, my friend Nikki got me in touch with a girl who ruptured at 19 1/2 weeks and managed to keep the baby in till 25 weeks. She said I needed to get to the University of Utah Hospital right now, that I never should have been sent home. She was at the University of Utah Hospital until she gave birth. Well, this got me all up in arms and as soon as Chris and his sister got home from the store I made them take me to that hospital.
The nurses at the front desk told me the same sad tale; That there wasn't much they could do for me until I was at the age of viability and that if I showed signs of infection they would encourage me to go into labor. All three of us went home pretty discouraged and I managed to drop my phone in the toilet that night too. But we were still happy about the mini fridge and excited to stock it up.
Chris and his family were amazing at helping me with anything I needed. His mom even gave me a bell to ring if I needed anything and they would come check on me all the time. Chris' sister cleaned the bathroom spotless for me, to help me be less stressed about infection. My friend Kristen came and gave me a massage. Things were going great. But I still felt an overwhelming amount of pressure to avoid infection and not to get too stressed, or do anything that could put me in labor, or make me lose more amniotic fluid. I was praying about all this when the thought came to me that it was all in the Lord's hands. Even if I did everything I could, it wasn't me that was keeping Skyler in there and keeping him alive-- it was the Lord. These feelings comforted me because it reminded me that no matter what I did, Skyler was in the Lord's hands. And if it was his will that he should live, then he would. If he was to die, then that was the Lord's will as well. I prayed that if it was His will, that Skyler would live and that his body would develop faster.
On Jan 7th, I started to feel pain and cramping and there was a lot more blood, but not enough to go to the hospital just yet. It stressed me out, and then I got stressed that I couldn't be stressed because it was bad for the baby. I finally took a sleep aid to knock myself out. Well, on my Birthday I woke up in blood and we went back to University of Utah Hospital.

1 comment:

  1. Can't help but be amused about the mini-fridge. I love your writing style Leah!

    How frustrating that the doctors wouldn't admit you!

    ReplyDelete