Saturday, January 7, 2012

You never know what a new year will bring. Still in shock- Skyler 1

Who would have thought that while Chris and I sat on my parent's couch in Texas on New Year's Eve, that only a few days later we would be told that we were most likely going to lose our 21-week-old baby. Who would have thought that only two days after that I would be sent home from two different hospitals being told that there wasn't much they could do for us until our baby was "viable." Or in other words, I reached 23 1/2 to 24 weeks gestation before going into labor. Who would have thought what the next weeks would bring.
The next week, I would be admitted into a hospital and told that our baby had a low chance of survival, that our baby had a fighting chance, that our baby was in distress, that our baby was dying and that our baby was breach.
Once we had the baby we were told that our baby wasn't moving, and then that our baby was resuscitated and stable. Now, the doctors and nurses tell us that our baby is doing really well.
This new year has already been quite a shock but it has also been jam packed with miracles. I was first diagnosed with Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes on Jan 4th. I was put on bed rest that day. I gave birth to Skyler on Jan 16th and was released from the hospital on Jan 18th. When I left the hospital I was not quite sure what to do with myself. All of the sudden I wasn't pregnant, I wasn't on bed rest and I wasn't coming home with a baby. I am so happy and grateful that Skyler is alive but still in shock about everything that has happened, and still figuring out what to do with myself now. In two weeks time, mine and Chris' life has changed forever.
Needless to say, you never know what the new year will bring. I sure hope the next 11 months won't be quite this eventful

Skyler Christopher Hill at 6 days old. Skyler was born on Jan. 16 at 1:27pm at 23 weeks and 2 days, weighing 1 pound 5 ounces.

We are so grateful that so many people have been praying for our little family. We have truly witnessed miracles and have felt the strength of those prayers. I wanted to write the next blog posts for myself and for those who have been wondering about the details.**I should add a disclaimer that if you don't want to read about leaking amniotic fluid and bleeding then you probably shouldn't read these posts. I want to write about everything that happened and I can't do it without talking about things like that. I should probably add another disclaimer; these entries are going to be pretty long. But I know I will look back and be so glad to have them. One day I'll be able to hold Skyler in my arms and tell him what a miracle he is and how happy we are to have him.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful to be able to read more about what you are experiencing...thank you for sharing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete