Sunday, February 5, 2012

Skyler Christopher's baby blessing









More pictures to come

Chris gave Skyler a name and a blessing yesterday. We heard that giving a premature baby a name and a blessing early can act as a shield and protection to them. There is a small chapel in the hospital right next to the NICU. Chris' dad had the idea to reserve it and do a little devotional beforehand. My parents and brothers drove up and Chris' family was there. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. We sang and Chris' sister and I spoke. Chris made little programs and put the picture of Christ holding a little baby in his hands on the front. That really touched me because, during the whole ordeal, I prayed that if the Lord could move mountains and create worlds without end, then he could save our baby's life. He was, and still is, in the Lord's hands.

After the devotional, the men and I went into Skyler's room. I put the phone on speaker and called a phone in the chapel room so that the rest of the family could hear. Chris reached his hand through one of the holes in the incubator and touched Skyler's head and then my dad, at the end of the semi-circle, put his hand in the other hole and touched Skyler's leg. I listened as Chris blessed Skyler's body and talked about him knowing by what power he was brought into this world. The Spirit was really strong. It was especially touching when Chris talked about him getting married one day and that angels are watching over him.






You think you know what love is...

This whole experience with Skyler has made me think about what I thought I knew about love. It's kind of a tongue twister I know. You think you know what love is when you have your first big crush, or get kissed for the first time, or even when you get married, and celebrate a couple anniversaries. But my love for Chris now and for Skyler is something different. Something deeper and more real. I look in at Skyler's teeny body in the incubator each day and just feel so much love.



1 comment:

  1. Skyler looks really good. That is such a sweet experience. What a beautiful family you have!

    ReplyDelete